Monday, August 16, 2010

To my grandpa



Grandpa,
I wanted to let you know that John, William, and especially I love you so much. I'm so grateful for everything you've given to me. If it wasn't for you, I know I wouldn't be where I am today. Christ provided me with so much through you.

Through you, he gave me John and William, because you made the way for me to go to Concordia. I remember when you made a deal with me that you would help pay for my first year, but then after that I was on my own. But then you helped me every year after that... thank you.

Through you, he gave me quality education that molded me into a mature and moral young woman, through Xavier and CLS. Those schools challenged me and helped me realize my potential, without which I might still be wandering around not knowing what to do with myself.

And most importantly, through you, God sent me to Christ Lutheran. You're the one who found the school for me, after realizing Squaw Peak wasn't the safest place for me. So I went, made friends that I still have today, and most dear to me, was led to faith in our Savior Jesus Christ. I'm sure God would have taken hold of me somewhere else, but he used that school to show me his unconditional love for me, his rebellious child.

Christ used you to bring me to faith in him, whether you realize it or not, which is what makes God so awesome. We'd like to think we've got everything under control, that we can take care of ourselves, that we can even save ourselves. But through many experiences of failure and defeat, we realize all we have to offer God is empty hands. We're sinful, we're prideful, we're selfish. But here is our hope:

Romans 8:31-39

31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."
37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Read this passage again. More slowly this time. Think about every word.

Papa, I don't know if you have faith, but you were used by God to bring me to faith. I hope that makes you feel honored. And he has you close to him even now. I miss you and hope to talk to you soon. Thanks for all you've done for all of us. We're praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment